Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Survey Engineer make precise measurements to determine property boundaries. They provide data relevant to the shape and contour of the Earth’s surface for engineering, mapmaking, and construction projects.
- Measure distances and angles between points on, above, and below the Earth’s surface
- Travel to locations and select known reference points to determine the exact location of important features
- Establish stake sites and official land and water boundaries
- Research land records, survey records, and land titles
- Look for evidence of previous boundaries to determine where boundary lines are located
- Record the results of surveying and verify the accuracy of data
- Prepare plots, maps, and reports
- Present findings to clients, government agencies, and others
- Take notes of land for deeds, leases, and other legal documents
- Provide expert testimony in court regarding survey work
- Train assistants and helpers, and direct their work in such activities as performing surveys or drafting maps.